Small Firewood Supplier (Forester) Update
The deadline for small foresters to comply with The Air Quality (Domestic Solid Fuels Standards) (England) Regulations 2020 is on 30th April 2022. The legislation applies only for the purposes of combustion in domestic premises in England.
There was a time-limited exemption for small foresters which ends soon. It stated:
6.— (1) In its application to a supplier who is a small forester, regulation 4 has effect only after the end of 12 months beginning with 1st May 2021.
(2) A person is a small forester for the purposes of this regulation if, during the period of one year ending with 30th April 2021 the person supplied less than 600 cubic metres of wood.
Options to become certified:
- Become certified in your own right – this is by far the simplest and most convenient way to continue selling wood fuel for residential burning.
- You and other smaller suppliers can work together to create a Small Group – you would have one co-ordinating person dealing with the Ready to Burn certification, who would apply to Woodsure under the Small Group Scheme.
- You can contact your local association who may be assisting with the formation of groups or putting together their own groups and advising on how to operate them. When you apply to Woodsure you need to be as prepared as possible to meet the certification criteria.
If you are interested in becoming a group scheme leader, please complete the group scheme application form. Once we have an application, we can send you template scheme documents.
Step-by-step guidance to help you complete your application form to become Ready to Burn certified in your own right can be found here.
Selling wood in volumes of 2 cubic metres or more in England:
- You do not need to get wood fuel sales of 2m³ or more certified. You can include a note when you deliver the wood to explain it is dry.
- Suppliers who sell wood in volumes of 2m³ or more must provide customers with this notice that explains how to dry, store and check the moisture of the wood before it is used. This also applies to small-scale wood producers.
If you have any questions or need assistance with your Ready to Burn certification, please contact Woodsure by email at [email protected] or phone 01684 278188.
Complete your application form online here.